View Single Post
Old 04-23-2003, 02:37 AM
Administrator

Matt,

On the surface, Luke 24:21 certainly does seem to indicate that Sunday, the 1st day of the week, was the third day and not the fourth day from Y'shua's death and burial. If you consider Sunday as the third day (and not the fourth), I would like to see how you work out the day and time of his death and burial (would that be Thursday, now?) and the day and time of his resurrection such that it fits Matt 12:40 (3 days and 3 nights). Y'shua gave 3 days and 3 nights as his sign; how did he fulfill it? Please, lay it out for me--I can't get it to work out with Sunday early afternoon (a considerable time after his resurrection) being the third day.

I've done a little searching on the Net, and found a plausible explanation to what Luke was saying. This excerpt (sorry about the length) is from an article written by Roy A. Reinhold:
Excerpt from Jes_s (Yeshua) was Crucified ... on a Wednesday Afternoon (part 2) <Link to Page>
. . .

I'd like to face the most troublesome verse first (Luke 24:21), that of the two men walking to Emmaus on Sunday, who were later joined by a stranger who explained all the scriptures to them. We know they were walking on Sunday, the first day of the week, because it is clearly stated so in Luke 24:1, where the sequence of events started. Here are 3 translations of Luke 24:21:
(KJV) But we trusted that it had been he which should have redeemed Israel; and besides all this, today is the third day since these things were done

(NKJV) But we were hoping that it was He who was going to redeem Israel. Indeed, besides all this, today is the third day since these things happened.

(NASB) But we were hoping that it was He who was going to redeem Israel. Indeed, besides all this, it is the third day since these things happened.

Yes, the walk to Emmaus was on Sunday, but it is a misunderstanding and mistranslation that Sunday was the third day since the crucifixion. Instead of writing down the verse in Greek, which most of you don't know, I decided that I ought to use what others have shown concerning this verse (Luke 24:21), which will have greater weight with you.

The Greek word for "since" after "the third day" in Luke 24:21 actually means "away from". Away from is the same as our "after". Yeshua died late on a Wednesday afternoon and was laid in the grave at sundown on Wednesday as Thursday was beginning. He was in the grave 3 days and 3 nights on Wednesday night, Thursday night, and Friday night and Thursday day, Friday day, and Saturday day using our reckoning of days and nights. He rose as the Sabbath was ending. So He was in the grave 3 days and 3 nights and rose after 3 days and 3 nights
while the Sabbath was ending. So He rose on the third day. Sunday is therefore the 4th day. The actual literal Greek translation of Luke 24:21 is:

But surely also together with all these things, it brings a third day away from which all these things occurred.

Translators take the cumbersome literal translation and make it flow , taking some liberty with it, but trying to retain accuracy. The 4th day is "away from" the third day. So it is apparent that the verse is literally saying they were walking and talking after the third day, which was Sunday. However, have other translators understood this point too? Yes, let's look at 3 of them. (Luke 24:21)

Moffatt Translation--by James Moffatt
....but he is dead, and that is three days ago!

The New Berkeley Version in Modern English--Gerrit Verkugl
Moreover, three days have already passed, since all these events occurred.

The Syriac New Testament Translated Into English From The Peshitto Version -- James Murdock
...and lo, three days have passed since all these things have occurred.

The Syriac Reading can be confirmed by 2 of the oldest manuscripts in Estrangelo Aramaic: the Sinaitic Palimpset and the Curetonian Syriac.

There is exceedingly ample evidence that the correct translation for Luke 24:21 is that the KJV should read, "today is after the third day since these things were done." As the information above shows, the oldest and multiple original manuscripts show that "away from" is the correct word for since, and shows us that they were talking about Sunday being the 4th day since Yeshua was laid in the grave.

. . .

I have one last point to make about Luke 24:21. This occurred to me last night before I found the article by Mr. Reinhold, and he also mentioned it:

Think about why the disciples made the comment . . . here they are, walking down the road, and a stranger comes up to them and asks them why they are sad. They proceeded to tell this stranger how this prophet, Y'shua, was condemned and crucified. AND, Y'shua had told them that he was going to rise on the third day, thus in their minds to become the redeemer of Israel. So, if they thought that this day that they were walking down the road was the third day, they would be still be waiting for Y'shua to rise from the dead. However, if today is after the third day since these things were done, they are sad--here, they thought Y'shua was the Messiah, and his third day prediction didn't come true.

If this makes sense, great. If not, and you still think that Sunday afternoon was the third day, please lay out the death, burial, and resurrection timeline so I, too, can see what you see.

Peace,
Pursue righteousness, faith, love and peace, along with those who call on the [messiah] out of a pure heart. (II Tim 2:22)

hyssop