View Single Post
Old 04-26-2003, 07:11 PM
Administrator

Originally posted by Matthew 23
They didn't even realize that Yeshua was supposed to come out of the grave (v.25), or they would have known what had happened when they heard about the empty tomb (v.22-24).
Well, Matt, one would certainly think that, had Y'shua told them that he was going to rise on the third day, they would have realized that he was resurrected when they heard of the empty tomb. But, there are lots of things that we, looking back, wonder why they didn't see them. However, regarding whether or not they thought that Y'shua was supposed to rise, I think they knew:
Third day predictions to disciples
Matt 16 (KJV)
[21] From that time forth began Jes_s to show unto his disciples, how that he must go unto Jerusalem, and suffer many things of the elders and chief prests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised again the third day.
Matt 17 (KJV)
[22] And while they abode in Galilee, Jes_s said unto them, The Son of man shall be betrayed into the hands of men: [23] And they shall kill him, and the third day he shall be raised again. And they were exceeding sorry.
Mark 9 (KJV)
[31] For he taught his disciples, and said unto them, The Son of man is delivered into the hands of men, and they shall kill him; and after that he is killed, he shall rise the third day. [32] But they understood not that saying, and were afraid to ask him.
Mark 9:31 states that they did not understand what saying? That he would rise the third day? If that is the case, his disciples understood less than those who did not believe.
Matthew 27 (KJV)
[62] Now the next day, that followed the day of the preparation, the chief priests and Pharisees came together unto Pilate, [63 Saying, Sir, we remember that that deceiver said, while he was yet alive, After three days I will rise again. [64] Command therefore that the sepulchre be made sure until the third day, lest his disciples come by night, and steal him away, and say unto the people, He is risen from the dead: so the last error shall be worse than the first.
However, there is, in my opinion, evidence that indicates that the disciples didn't have a clue--even after being told beforehand. It kind of "blows one's mind" to realize that they knew so little.

As far as your timeline is concerned, I agree. Y'shua had to be killed on Wednesday in order for everything to work out. To speak to your issue with "on the third day" and "after three days," One explanation could be that he was buried just before sunset on Wednesday and resurrected just before sunset on Saturday: after 72 hours (3 days), but on the third day (on Saturday just before sunset)--that seems to be a logical way to put all of the pieces of the "puzzle" together and have them fit (or, at least, most of them).
Pursue righteousness, faith, love and peace, along with those who call on the [messiah] out of a pure heart. (II Tim 2:22)

hyssop