View Single Post
Old 11-18-2002, 11:22 PM

Shalom
Is it true that the word law does not do the heb word Torah justice? I have heard that the word Torah means teaching and instruction. Whenever God gives teaching and instruction it truly is a gift. Also when Tanack says to obey his commandment, there is a blessing and a curse. The blessing if we do obey, and The curse if we do not obey.

Deu 11:27 A blessing, if ye obey (hear) the commandments of the LORD your God, which I command you this day:
Deu 11:28 And a curse, if ye will not obey (hear) the commandments of the LORD your God, but turn aside out of the way which I command you this day, to go after other gods, which ye have not known.

I have noticed that the word "obey" is not a proper translation. The word that is translated obey is really the heb word which means (to hear intently). Perhaps if we can hear intently what God is telling us through his teachings and instructions we will have his blessing, versus his curse, for not listening intently. At least that is what these verses seem to be saying to me. There is a verse in the New Test that says faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God. Is it possible that if we can learn to hear intently God's teaching and instructions, these would become his word to our heart, in order that the faith of Abraham would be formed in our hearts, thus pleasing God for faith pleases him and brings his blessing.

Here is another point I would like to make.
Deu 27:10 Thou shalt therefore obey (hear) the voice of the LORD thy God, and do (work to accomplish) his commandments and his statutes, which I command thee this day.

The word do in this verse, when I look at the strongs concordence it appears that this word could be translated to accomplish or to work to accomplish. In this light if I fail to do his commandments there is implied grace within the verse, if my heart is right in working to keep them with all my heart. In this light they would not be to difficult, they would be within our grasp.

Ken